Longer eyelashes are coveted by women all over the world and semi permanent eyelashes and extensions are the fashion statement. Long, full and thick lashes are a universal beauty mark in the same vein as full lips and shiny hair. Some people are lucky enough to be born with naturally long eyelashes, but others must rely on artificial means to make their eyelashes longer. There are a number of ways to make eyelashes longer including applying mascara, gluing on false eyelashes or getting salon lash extensions.
Using False Eyelashes
- Purchase a set of false eyelashes. You can buy them in strips or individual pieces. The strips can also be cut off into smaller pieces if you so choose. Some people find that the individual pieces look more realistic than the longer strips.
- Cleanse the eye area with a gentle soap and lukewarm water. Also, make sure to remove any eye makeup. The false eyelashes will stick better on clean skin.
- Curl the false eyelashes with an eyelash curler. Heat the eyelash curler for a few seconds with a blow dryer. Curling the lashes will make them look longer and more dramatic.
- Apply lash glue to the false eyelash. If you are using the strips, apply a thin line of glue onto the ends. If you are using the individual lashes, grab the lash with a pair of tweezers and gently dip the ends into the lash glue.
- Close your eye tightly. Holding the false eyelashes with the tweezers, press them firmly into your lash line. Try to get the false eyelashes as close to the natural lash line as possible.
Using Lengthening Mascara
- Apply lengthening mascara to make eyelashes longer. Many popular brands carry both affordable and slightly more expensive options. Lengthening mascara is specifically formulated to make each lash a few millimetres longer.
- Curl your lashes with the eyelash curler before applying the mascara. The extra curl will make your lashes look even longer.
- Using your finger, lift your upper eyelid slightly to expose your eyelashes. This will make it easier to apply the mascara. Place the mascara wand near your eyelashes and gently move it side to side, then brush upward. Apply at least two coats for a dramatic lengthening look.
Using a Lash Lengthening Treatment
- Use a lash lengthening treatment such as Latisse or Marini Lash to make eyelashes longer. This is a topical drug treatment used to promote eyelash growth, making lashes longer without the need for makeup or false extensions.
- Before bedtime, apply a thin line of the treatment onto your upper eyelid as close to the lash line as possible. Leave on overnight.
Wash off thoroughly in the morning using lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser. Repeat every night for at least one month. It may take a few weeks before you begin to see results.